Research topics | Publications | Lab members | NGS - Genomes | Softwares | Coauthor network | DIYBIO | Links
G3 - We read Genome, write Genome and edit Genome.
Synthetic Biology - ‘Biology is Technology’
- Construction by Design - We can construct metabolic pathways in genomes by design (e.g. iPNN - intelligent Pathway Network Navigator)
- Learning by Construction - We can learn how nature constructs ‘things’ by synthesis (e.g. PKSDS - PolyKetide Synthetase Design Suite)
- CSBL gears undergraduate research programs, the Korea_U_Seoul team for iGEM. The Korea_U_Seoul team is open for any undergraduate student.
- DIYBio: CSBL supports DIYBio Movements in Korea
- We are also interested in manipulation of cell surface by displaying petides and proteins in microbes and viruses
Knowledge Discovery for Understanding Cellular Design Principles
- Agar, a recalcitrant polysaccharide, has a great potential as a renewable biomass. We have recently elucidated the details of bacterial agarolytic pathways. We have sequenced genomes (DNAseq) and transcriptomes (RNAseq) of several agarolytic microorganisms using next generation sequencing (NGS) techniques. We have identified key enzymes (e.g. beta-agarases, agarooligosaccharide beta-galactosidase - ABG, neoagarobiose hydrolase - NABH, anhydrogalactose dehydrogenase -AHGD and anhydrogalactonate cycloisomerase - ACI, etc.) in the agar metabolic pathway and determined atomic structures of key enzymes. The full understanding molecular and cellular functions of these novel agarolytic enzymes will provide the design principle of synthetic agar degradation pathways and eventually guide the construction of synthetic microorganisms converting agar into valuable chemicals.
Molecular Universe - Computational Genomics
- How protein structures were evolved? We explore the virtual space - Protein structure universe
- Structural Foldons Protein structure alphabets
- Nucleotide structure universe
- We examine the functionalty of protein domains and families in these virtual spaces where genes/proteins are born, developed, innovated, horizontally transferred and eventually destroyed.
- We are also exploring Fungal Genome Universe - Fungal Pan-genome space composed of genes and genomes. In molecular approach, we attempt to parse new knowledge of fungal biology.